Address

1138 Budapest, Margitsziget

Transportation

  • Bus No. 26, 1 minute walk to the main entrance
  • Trams No. 4 and 6, getting off at Margaret Bridge, 8-10 minute walk to the main entrance

History

The indoor swimming pool was built in 1930 according to the plans of the first Hungarian Olympic champion, Alfréd Hajós. The first outdoor pool and diving facility were completed in 1937, and since then the Sport complex has been rebuilt and expanded several times.

Thanks to the 2006 European Swimming Championship, the complex has been expanded to include a 50 meter pool, a 25×25 meter pool and a diving wall, with changing rooms and a 1,000-person stand. The new environment bears the name of the former master trainer Tamás Széchy.

„Hajós” as it is called in sports branch, is the domestic center of water sports. Many of the best Hungarian swimmers, water polo players, synchronized and diving swimmers, pentathletes and triathletes are prepared here for the national and international competitions.

The complex has hosted a number of world competitions over the last few decades, including the 2006 and 2010 European Swimming Championships, the 2014 European Men’s and Women’s Water Polo Championships, and the 2017 World Swimming Championships.